Book Review - INTO THE RIFT by Clay Harmon

 
(Title: Into The Rift / Author: Clay Harmon / Publisher: Solaris Books / Publication Date: July 2, 2024 / Total Pages: 448)


Back Cover Blurb
After stopping the mercenary army and saving Augustin, Jakar and Efadora set their sights on Sulian Daw, where Jakar plans to hunt down the cultists who enslaved him and save the elemental children he grew up beside. But first, that will mean crossing the Rift, the most treacherous place in Ra Thuzan. Back in Mira, Ester, fledgling smith of the Foundry, must track down the smith's source of power after it goes missing. And if she fails, it will mean the death of everyone in the Foundry at the hands of the Sovereign and the child prince.



Review
Clay Harmon's magnificent debut Flames of Mira really captured my attention when I got a chance to read it back in 2022 (you can read my full review HERE). Admittedly dark fantasy is probably my favorite subgenre along with portal fantasy. So I was already inclined to enjoy it but what also moved me about that book was the emotional aspect of the characters and the intriguing plot. It also had some top-notch worldbuilding, I mean what's not to love about a story that takes place in a subterranean volcanic world existing beneath a frozen wasteland. It is one of the more unique settings I've come across in fantasy to be quite honest and I was fascinated by it immediately. I was super excited to discover that Harmon was releasing his next book in the Rift Walker series in July and henceforth scrambled to try and obtain an early copy which thanks to Solaris Books I was able to do.

INTO THE RIFT takes the solid foundation laid out in the first book and expands on both the story itself and the incredible worldbuilding. Where book one had mainly a tight focus on Mira and predominantly that location, this book takes us to some new places and broadens the map if you will. The characters are split up and through their POV chapters we get to see much more of the world that Clay Harmon has invented, and what an amazing world it is. It was refreshing to have those multiple viewpoints in this one because I felt like the first book was very Jakar heavy (understandable though considering the setup to the story arc). 

Another aspect that made me enjoy this entry slightly more than the first is the character development and backstory is fleshed out much more. The breakneck pace of Flames of Mira sort of gives way to a seemingly more mature and thoughtful sequel where political intrigue comes more into play and these characters are forced to make tough decisions and critically think their way through a load of travails and dangerous pitfalls. But that's not to say this book is boring because there is still quite a bit of action to satisfy and scratch that itch, I assure you.

There's just tons to love about this book and its predecessor. You get a cool history of the world, discoveries of mysterious artifacts, an evil antagonist in the enigmatic Sovereign, a setting that is constantly dazzling you as you traverse through its harsh and desolate landscape, and a tightly constructed and compelling story that is teeming with some pretty cool dark sorcery throughout. Happy to say that I'm now 100% invested after reading INTO THE RIFT as it ends with the most tantalizing of cliffhangers. I desperately need to find out how this all wraps up and the wait for the next book will seem like an eternity I'm sure. At the same time it will be more than worth the wait and I feel like when all is said and done this will stand among the best fantasy series of the past 25 years. I highly recommend jumping on board this train while it is still on its route because believe me, you are going to want to be there when it finally pulls into that last station for the thrilling climax.

Rating:

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *