My Top 10 Reads of 2023!!!

It's that time again when I get to compile my list of ten books that stood out among all those that I've read this year. As always it was difficult putting this list together because I had the absolute privilege of reading SO MANY excellent fantasy and scifi books in 2023. This year especially saw some outstanding fantasy and scifi books being released both by the big publishers in the industry and also self-pub and indie. After much consideration I feel as if I've come up with an accurate representation of my ten favorites for this year. These books in particular wowed me just a little more than the rest. So without further delay here are the ten SFF books that totally blew my mind in 2023!


10. A SWORD OF BRONZE AND ASHES by Anna Smith Spark
A wonderful blend of fantasy and horror, Anna Smith Spark never seems to disappoint when it comes to her luscious prose and her wholly engaging storytelling. This one captivated me right from the very beginning and takes you on a dark fairy tale journey like no other. At times heartbreaking, at others hopeful, it can't be denied that this is one of Anna's best books and I'm so glad that I got a chance to read it. There's a disturbing underlying mystery that will blow your mind when all is said and done. Along the way Anna Smith Spark makes us sweat as she strengthens our connection to the main characters through deeply personal dialogue. This book will challenge many preconceptions with regard to what a hero should look and behave like, and that is a very very good thing. I hope to read many more stories set in this multi-layered and captivating world. (Read My Full Review)



9. THE SWORD DEFIANT by Gareth Hanrahan
Gareth Hanrahan has quickly become one of my very favorite current fantasy authors, especially upon reading his ongoing series The Black Iron Legacy. This first book in his brand new Lands of the Firstborn series may be even better having devoured it in record time earlier this year. Anytime a sentient sword is involved you just know things have the possibility of going in some insane directions. There are so many things in this book that I absolutely love in a fantasy read - dark magic, witches, elves, dwarves, political intrigue... There's also a very cool "let's get the band back together" aspect where the main character has to reunite the famed Nine Heroes in order to attempt to defeat the evil that has arisen in Hanrahan's richly imagined world. The book satisfies on so many levels and I recommend it for anyone who enjoys fantasy that doesn't hold your hand or spoon-feed information to you throughout. Edge of your seat adventure, vile and unmerciful antagonists, a dark and mysterious world, macabre creatures straight out of your worst nightmares, and that trademark strange (in a good way) edge that is the backbone of every one of his stories. (Read My Full Review)



8. TRAITOR OF REDWINTER by Ed McDonald
I simply love Ed McDonald's books plain and simple. His Raven's Mark trilogy is I believe one of the best fantasy series ever written. That top quality storytelling doesn't decline at all in his next series The Redwinter Chronicles, of which this is the second book. Even though the feel and theme are very different than his previous series, McDonald shows his versatility and range by spinning a tale that is less grimdark and more high traditional fantasy. The magic is also done in a creative way that brings the mystical elements to the forefront while not losing any of the engaging plot in the process. I find this book and series to also be more character-driven than RM and I like that a lot, once again it shows that McDonald is no one trick pony when it comes to his writing. One element that is similar though is the excellent worldbuilding and that is off the charts in this series. I can't tell you how much this series has me in its clutches and I honestly cannot wait for the final entry because I know that it's going to be one for the ages. Just a great book and one of my favorite reads this year. (Read My Full Review)



7. THE SLAIN DIVINE by David Dalglish
The concluding volume in Dalglish's The Vagrant Gods trilogy did not disappoint. I had the bar set really high for this one too because the first two books were just amazing and some of the best fantasy I have read. Well the final entry delivered in every way imaginable and wrapped up this series in a thrilling and more than satisfying way. As you would expect in the climax of a series, the characters get put through some of the most difficult situations possible, the action sequences are vivid and hit you viscerally, and the engaging plot keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time leading up to the breathtaking final few pages. This is a fantasy book that is heavy on political intrigue, harrowing battle scenes, and multi-dimensional characters who aren't predictable and often times extremely unpredictable in their actions and motivations. A terrific series that demands more eyes on it, and this book in particular rewarded my investment immensely. (Read My Full Review)



6. THE TYRANNY OF FAITH by Richard Swan
The second book in Swan's Empire of the Wolf trilogy was just as heart-pounding and mesmerizing as the brilliant opener The Justice of Kings. This book ramps things up considerably and in no way suffers from the dreaded "middle book syndrome". If anything even more conflict and action occurs in this one, which is really saying something. The plotting is beautifully laid out, the double-dealing and treachery is crazy good, the characters are morally gray and never behave the way you would expect, and the magic system and worldbuilding are some of the best I've come across. Supremely dark in all the right places and occasionally rips your heart from your chest. We talk about unputdownable stories a lot, but this one truly deserves that label. Once you start reading it you can't stop and will find yourself stealing every minute to pick it back up and return to this wonderful story. Richard Swan has achieved something special with this series and that cannot be denied. (Read My Full Review)



5. THE WORDS OF KINGS AND PROPHETS by Shauna Lawless
The Gael Song series is one of the more beautifully written and expertly plotted in the genre. Steeped in Celtic myth and lore it's light on the magical aspects but heavy in the politic strategy, court intrigue, and inter-character relationships. That's not to say that there are no fantastical elements, oh there are! And that is what makes TWoKaP one of my favorite reads of this year, as the first book The Children of Gods and Fighting Men was for me last year. Lawless infuses her historical setting of 10th/11th century Ireland with a very special kind of magic, a magic that is manifested through her vivid prose, convincing characters, gripping dialogue, riveting action scenes, and passion-imbued romance. Ultimately I found this to be a brilliant sequel that expands on the first book considerably and throws in quite a few unexpected turns that had me completely transfixed for the entire last half of it. Highly recommended especially if you are looking for something outside of the standard male-dominated epic fantasy fare. (Read My Full Review)




4. SIN AND SORROW by Michael R. Fletcher
Seems like not a year goes by that Michael R. Fletcher doesn't have at least one book (sometimes two) on my list of favorites. The dude may be my favorite dark fantasy writer to be quite honest. I waited three years for this book to be published and frankly was approaching stalker status with the way I kept checking to see if it would be released soon. All I have to say is wow, this is exactly how you end a fantastic trilogy. The final book in the City of Sacrifice series exceeded the lofty expectations I had and even surprised me with things I did not see coming by any stretch. Some of the best dark sorcery you will find and that twisted Lovecraftian flair that Michael Fletcher possesses are what really elevate this from simply great to otherworldly awesome. And it's also what makes this my favorite Fletcher series of all-time. If you are looking for an out of the box fantasy read that has unbelievably cool magic, vengeful and insane gods that war with and against mortals, a highly inventive and realized world, and some of the most skillful writing/dialogue around, then you should read this book, this series, and frankly every single thing that Michael R. Fletcher has written. (Read My Full Review)



3. LEGACY OF BRICK & BONE by Krystle Matar
I simply adore the Tainted Dominion series and I know people get sick of hearing me talk about it but I'm not going to stop. LoB&B is the sequel to the outstanding Legacy of the Brightwash and this book is not only twice the length but it's also twice the action and intrigue. The compelling murder mystery angle still remains and gets even more tangled as more and more plotlines begin to appear and converge with others. But what I really love about this series is the worldbuilding and fully realized characters who feel as if they are actual flesh and blood standing right next to me every time I turn the page. Krystle Matar is such a gifted writer and this gaslamp grimdark setting is in my opinion the perfect backdrop for one of my favorite current fantasy series. These books simply cannot come out fast enough for me. The story is just so addictive and I'm running out of superlatives to describe it. This sequel was such a pleasure to read with every witty exchange of dialogue, every wondrously delicate brushstroke of worldbuilding, every tense moment of conflict, every devious backroom betrayal, it just was a joy to experience. If you aren't reading this series you are missing out on one of the best the genre has to offer. (Read My Full Review)



2. ASCENSION by Nicholas Binge
This book came so close to being my top read of 2023, it really did. It's one of those books that you know is going to be a monumental read very early on, you can just tell by the way the story is written and how the plot begins to unfold. I can't say I've ever read a book quite like it truthfully. Just when you think you have an idea where the story is headed, it throws a completely unforeseen curveball at you and makes you question everything you believed the book was about in the first place. Ascension is a fantastic blend of so many genres that I love. There are elements of science-fiction, horror, techno-thriller, and weird fiction just to name a few. The completely fascinating story of a giant mountain that appears in the Pacific Ocean seemingly out of nowhere is one that I couldn't help but get caught up in. Throw in the fact that there are really strange things and mysterious phenomena occurring on said mountain and that just piqued my interest even more. And in addition to the unexplained mountain story there is also a heart-wrenching side story of love and loss told via the reflections of the main character as he goes over the events of his life leading up to the point of the discovery of the unexplained supernatural event that just occurred. These moving passages are extremely powerful and emotional. If author Nicholas Binge wasn't a household name before he most certainly should be after this shimmering jewel of a novel. (Read My Full Review)



1. THE BLOODY CHORUS by John Marco
This was a very early read in the year for me (February) but even though I still had a ton more books to go on my reading schedule, I was pretty certain of the fact that it would have an excellent chance of being my top read come December. John Marco has long been a favorite author of mine and for reasons which don't really need to be brought up, had taken a lengthy hiatus from writing. Well I am so incredibly ecstatic that Marco is back to doing what he does best, and that is writing transcendently awe-inspiring epic fantasy like this. The Bloody Chorus is a book that I wish I could put in every fantasy lover's hands and say without reservation, "here trust me, just read this." Marco's worldbuilding is consistently of the highest quality and he has populated this brilliant world with some of the most horrifying and unsettling creatures, bickering and vindictive gods, and vile feral beasts imaginable. I don't even have the words to explain the trip this book took me on and if this opening salvo is any indication, this might just end up being my favorite John Marco series, which is really saying a lot as he's penned two of my all-time favorites already. The bottom line is this book is bloody perfection (no pun intended) and I really REALLY hope it gets the overwhelming praise and accolades that it so rightfully deserves. Ultimately and without question I'm delighted to say that The Bloody Chorus was MY TOP READ OF 2023!!!! (Read My Full Review)


And there you have it, my list of favorite reads of 2023! I hope you enjoyed checking out which books stood out to me this past year. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the authors and publishers who wrote the books I read this year and also provided me with advance copies of many if not all of them. This is something that I am always grateful for and never take for granted. I look forward to 2024 and many more years of amazing reads to come!

Happy Reading and Happy Holidays!
Nick

Comments

  1. I wish John Marco would get A Bloody Chorus on Audobook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you had a great reading year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *