Book Review - WRAITHBOUND by Tim Akers

 
(Title: Wraithbound / Author: Tim Akers / Publisher: Baen Books / Publication Date: April 4, 2023 / Total Pages: 464)


Back Cover Blurb
Since he was a boy, Rae Kelthannis has dreamed of being a stormbinder like his father, with an air elemental stitched into the fabric of his soul and the winds of heaven at his command. Those dreams died when his father, through no fault of his own, fell into disgrace and was banned by the justicars of the Iron Council. The family fled to the edge of the Ordered World, to live in fear in the shadow of encroaching Chaos.

When Rae defies his father's orders and attempts to stitch an air elemental to his soul, he instead binds himself to a mysterious wraith. That's when things get complicated and the world starts to fall apart around him. Literally.



Review
In my opinion WRAITHBOUND is a perfect example of why many of us read fantasy books. Because in the end you can have all of the magic, worldbuilding, and bloody battles that you want but if it's not an entertaining and wondrous escape, then it's all just window dressing to be honest. This book has everything that attracted me to fantasy books in the first place and the one word that keeps coming to mind after finishing it last night is fun. What a fantastically fun read that just kept me glued to every page. And aside from it being fun WRAITHBOUND is also a banger of a story.

This is a book that has so much to like if you are a fantasy fan. Evil sorcerers, hellish demons, a brilliant magic system that hearkened me back to L.E. Modesitt's Order and Chaos based structure, and characters (like the main character Rae) who are put to the test very early on and must answer the bell time and time again. Couple that with some really bold worldbuilding and you have yourself one heck of an opening book in Akers' Spiritbinder Saga.

Another aspect that I loved about this book and what kept me reading is there are zero lulls and standing about. Right from the opening pages the first conflict hits and from there it's a whirlwind of action and dark sorcery badassery. I didn't know what to expect from WRAITHBOUND because I had never read a Tim Akers book before. But my uncertainty was quite quickly put to rest by this tightly woven plot and Akers' vivid writing. After that it was just a matter of settling in for the ride, and oh what a ride it was!

There's a blurb that I read about Tim Akers that said he is "a rising star of fantasy". Well, if this book is any indication I'd say his star has very much risen and planted itself firmly in the sky among the most talented authors in the genre. If you love fantasy that has edge of your seat action and takes no prisoners, then run out and get this book once it is officially released next month. I guarantee that you will be treated to one of the best sword and sorcery books you've read in a long time. I highly recommend WRAITHBOUND and you can be sure that this will not be the last Tim Akers book that I pick up. I'm just sorry I didn't get into his stuff sooner!

Rating:

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *