Book Review - MYSTIC REBORN by Jeffrey Speight

 
(Title: Mystic Reborn / Author: Jeffrey Speight / Publisher: Literary Wanderlust / Publication Date: April 1, 2023 / Total Pages: 414)


Book Blurb
Some paths are meant to be walked alone.

After embracing his destiny as the last of the Paladins, Umhra the Peacebreaker is granted ancient powers by the gods. When he returns to the ruins of Antiikin to fulfill a promise, he embarks on a journey that will push the limits of his abilities.

As the Grey Queen's arrival heralds the fulfillment of a prophecy that could mean the end of humanity, the kingdom of Evelium desperately needs a hero. Can Umhra once more rise to the challenge and save mankind from annihilation?


Review
This follow up to the incredibly fun D&D style Paladin Unbound is a wonderful continuation of the Archives of Evelium universe. I found myself blowing through 300 pages this weekend because I seriously could not put the book down, I was so sucked into this story. I think I liked MYSTIC REBORN even better than the first book because it feels like Speight has really found his voice in this one. Umhra especially has obviously been transformed through his actions and experiences in book one and he's much more comfortable in his own skin so to speak. 

The adventure aspect of the story truly kept the narrative moving at a brisk pace, which further enhanced my enjoyment. I'm not a huge fan of books that take a long time to get going and I often grow impatient if I'm a third of the way in and I'm still being fed setup. But no worries here as MYSTIC REBORN starts off with a bang and doesn't slow down for even a second of its 400+ page length. So if you enjoy books that move fast and pack a big punch, you will find much to savor here.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the giddy nostalgia I feel when I read these books. As someone who cut his teeth on the books of R.A. Salvatore, Margaret Weis, and Tracy Hickman, both Paladin Unbound and now its sequel bring me back to those early days of wonder as I was just discovering how great fantasy books were. There's something to be said for books that make you feel a certain comfort level while entertaining the heck out of you and Speight does both for me in equal measure.

I have come to love this magical world with its fantastic inhabitants of frost giants, orcs, sorcerers, golems, heroes, and heroines. There's so much packed into this one and Speight takes us all over the map of Evelium in the process. From the decrepit fallen ruins of Antiikin, to the legendary gathering place of gods Ember's Watch, through the frigid ice lands of The Bite, to the cold unforgiving northern city of Oda Norde, this is a mesmerizing trek through some of the most treacherous and mystical lands imaginable. And that's a huge part of the fun of MYSTIC REBORN, not only do we get a great story but we also get the bonus tour of these amazing places along the way through Speight's vivid descriptions.

Jeffrey Speight has done it again with MYSTIC REBORN. He's delivered one of the most entertaining and enjoyable fantasy books and continues to expand on his utterly brilliant world of Evelium. If you appreciate your fantasy with a bit of D&D flair, you should absolutely be reading this series. I had a ton of fun reading this and I can't wait to see where Speight takes us next in this highly evocative and inspired world. 

Rating:

Comments

  1. What a great review! I also felt that sense of wonder. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, Nick. This really sounds good. It's been a while I haven't picked up a fantasy novel with a touch of D&D. Will have to look out for this one.

    https://roarsandechoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lashaan! Appreciate the comment and I hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a go.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *