Book Review - LEECH by Hiron Ennes

(Title: Leech / Author: Hiron Ennes / Publisher: Tor / Publication Date: September 27, 2022 / Total Pages: 336)


Book Blurb
In an isolated chateau, as far north as north goes, the baron's doctor has died. The doctor's replacement has a mystery to solve: discovering how the Institute lost track of one of its many bodies.

For hundreds of years the Interprovincial Medical Institute has grown by taking root in young minds and shaping them into doctors, replacing every human practitioner of medicine. The Institute is here to help humanity, to cure and to cut, to cradle and protect the species from the apocalyptic horrors their ancestors unleashed.

in the frozen north, the Institute's body will discover a competitor for its rung at the top of the evolutionary ladder. A parasite is spreading through the baron's castle, already a dark pit of secrets, lies, violence, and fear. The two will make war on the battlefield of the body. Whichever wins, humanity will lose again.



Review
I can honestly say that I've never read a book quite like LEECH by Hiron Ennes. The closest thing I think I can come to it in "weirdness" is The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. Not in story mind you, but in total accumulation of wtf moments. I mean, how do you wrap your head around a story where the main character and narrator is a parasite that has taken over a number of hosts throughout the centuries, and whose latest body is a pathologist investigating a mysterious death inside the chateau of a reclusive baron. Oh and as that investigation unfolds, something even worse is discovered below the mines outside of the chateau grounds. Pretty cool-sounding plot, wouldn't you say? And that's just the first few chapters, the truly bizarre and intense stuff comes after that. Have I hooked you yet? Piqued your curiosity a bit?

As I said before, LEECH is an incredibly unique read to be sure. There are many instances where the narrative truly wraps you up and I felt myself being pulled into its tangled clutches for large stretches. Fair warning though, the language/dialogue is written in an older style, hearkening back to some of the works of 19th century novelists like Mary Shelley and Wilkie Collins. But that's also what makes the book stand out as it fits nicely with the desolate setting, which is very reminiscent of the frigid landscape scenes from Frankenstein and the dark wandering manor house halls from The Woman in White. So in that respect, the language definitely compliments this seemingly old school gothic horror/scifi tale.

I have to admit that I didn't really know what was going on when I first started reading this book. There were a few times when I put the book down in my lap, stared at the wall and thought what the heck just happened there? I'm really glad that I stuck with it though because as the story progresses, things that are merely hinted at in the beginning start to take on a sharper focus and become clearer. This is not a book for people who crave instant gratification, but rather it unfolds its secrets tantalizingly slowly. These can be the best types of books because the reward for paying close attention is so gratifying in the end.

Speaking of the end, the climax was not what I expected and that kept right in line with my whole reading experience with this one. I enjoyed LEECH and would recommend it to anyone who loves a good gothic read with some truly weird elements. This book is not for the squeamish as it does contain a fair amount of body horror, violence, and just plain icky scenes that left me making the squinty gross face pretty regularly. But I appreciated the compelling plot and also how author Hiron Ennes took chances and didn't sugarcoat anything with regard to many of the depictions of the characters. They truly have a solid grasp on their craft and the uniqueness of this book cannot be undersold. Definitely a wonderfully original book that took me out of my comfort zone at times but that I was so glad that I had a chance to read. Certainly check this one out because it is creepy and disturbing in all the right places and ultimately quite emotional. Very fitting that it will be released around the Halloween season too.

Rating:

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Scarlett! Appreciate that a lot.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great book, you have me interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it definitely is a great read. Hope you enjoy it if you have a chance to check it out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *