Book Review - THE HUNGER OF THE GODS by John Gwynne

 

(Title: The Hunger of the Gods / Author: John Gwynne / Publisher: Orbit / Publication Date: April 14, 2022 / Total Pages: 656)


Book Blurb
Lik-Rifa, the dragon god of legend has been freed from her eternal prison. Now she plots a new age of blood and conquest.

As Orka continues the hunt for her missing son, the Bloodsworn sweep south in a desperate race to save one of their own - and Varg takes the first steps on the path of vengeance.

Elvar has sworn to fulfill her blood oath and rescue a prisoner from the clutches of Lik-Rifa and her dragonborn followers, but first she must persuade the Battle-Grim to follow her.

Yet even the might of the Bloodsworn and Battle-Grim cannot stand alone against a dragon god.

Their hope lies within the mad writings of a chained god. A book of forbidden magic with the power to raise the wolf god Ulfrir from the dead...and bring about a battle that will shake the foundations of the earth.



Review
John Gwynne's books are always difficult for me to review because so much happens, the characters are really complex (in a good way) and there's often a rich and detailed history to his tales that are hard to encapsulate in a short review. So I will do my best, although I feel like no matter what I come up with it won't come anywhere near doing this book or series justice.

The second in Gwynne's Bloodsworn Saga picks up immediately following the events that concluded the first book. Orka is still desperately traversing the continent looking for those who tore apart her family, while hoping that it still isn't too late to save her son. Her rugged determination throughout this entire series is really what carries this story for me. I haven't come across a main character who I've immediately connected with quite like I have with Orka. To say she's a true badass would be an understatement. She has more than earned her moniker of Orka Skullsplitter, which is one of the cooler names in fantasy I have to admit.

The POVs in this book are slightly expanded. In book one the focus was pretty much on three main characters, however we get a little bit of a wider scope in THE HUNGER OF THE GODS and this makes sense given that the story is expanding considerably as well. That being said, I didn't mind the fact that we experience some other characters' journeys and it wasn't confusing as their stories intersect with the main characters much of the time. So Gwynne has definitely given us a broader view of the players in book two and the results are spectacular.

One thing in particular that I really loved about this book is that Gwynne peels back the curtain a bit further on the mythical aspect of this Norse-inspired fantasy epic. The gods begin to emerge more and it really takes this already engaging plot to another level entirely. No longer are we dealing with disputes and battles among humans, now ancient (and in some cases downright evil) gods are attempting to influence matters. Consequently, the magic that was only somewhat present in The Shadow of the Gods is considerably ramped up in this entry. 

I didn't think it was possible for me to be wowed by a John Gwynne book more than I already have leading up to this point. But he continues to amaze me with his ability to introduce unique compelling storylines, magnificent otherworldly creatures, interesting characters who you care about so deeply, and that trademark Gwynne writing that is always tight, witty, and filled with memorable quotes that you can't help but highlight and refer back to later. 

There's also an interesting dichotomy when dealing with a book like this. I wanted to savor every page and slow down to enjoy it more, but at the same time I couldn't help devouring it in huge marathon sessions because the story is just that great. So I finished fairly quickly for an almost 700-page doorstopper and now I am quite sad that I will have yet another long wait for the next one. But that's also the joy of reading amazing books, that anticipation for something that is potentially even greater down the road. And I can say without hesitation that this series fits the bill.

If you are looking for one of the best Norse-inspired epic fantasy stories, then you really must pick up this series. John Gwynne has certainly done his homework and created one of the greatest escape reads I've ever come across. Resurrected gods, warring clans, perilous quests, mesmerizing magic, a landscape that transports you to an amazing new place, and a sense of wonder that attracts us all to fantasy books in the first place. As far as I'm concerned Gwynne has only further cemented his place among the very best writers in the genre. Just run and get your copy the moment it hits the shelves, you will not be disappointed.

Overall Rating:

Comments

  1. Wow, does this book sound fantastic. I have not read many Norse-inspired books but I'm always eager to read something new. I also have never read anything by this author. Your review has me convinced that I need to read this. I'm going to add this series to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *