Book Review - DAUGHTER OF REDWINTER by Ed McDonald

 

(Title: Daughter of Redwinter / Author: Ed McDonald / Publisher: Tor Books / Publication Date: June 28, 2022 / Total Pages: 352)


Book Blurb
Raine can see -- and more importantly, speak -- to the dead. It's a wretched gift with a death sentence that has her doing many dubious things to save her skin. Seeking refuge with a deluded cult is her latest bad, survival-related decision. But her rare act of kindness -- rescuing an injured woman in the snow -- is even worse.

Because the woman has escaped from Redwinter, the fortress monastery of the Draoihn, warrior magicians who answer to no king and who will stop at nothing to retrieve what she's stolen. A battle, a betrayal, and a horrific revelation forces Raine to enter Redwinter. It becomes clear that her ability might save an entire nation.


Review 
Before I begin my review of this book I would just like to mention that Ed McDonald quite quickly cemented his place as one of my favorite authors with his previous series, Raven's Mark. If you haven't had an opportunity to read that one yet, you really should because it is utterly brilliant in every way and a grimdark/dark fantasy masterpiece in my opinion. So when I first saw some marketing for a brand new series by him coming out this summer, I practically passed out with excitement. Thankfully, I was able to obtain an advance copy recently from publisher Tor, and away I went immersing myself in this hypnotic new tale.

The very first thing that I noticed about DAUGHTER OF REDWINTER is that the feel of it is slightly different from the dark and ominous Raven's Mark books. That's not to say that this book doesn't have its dark moments. Any story where the main character can commune with the dead is not exactly going to be a chuckle fest. But it definitely had a different mood to it as I read it and it felt more like a traditional fantasy with some darkly sinister elements. Honestly, I loved the change of pace and it just made me admire McDonald even more as a writer because it showed me that he's not just a one trick pony.

The worldbuilding in particular really stood out to me, but Ed McDonald has always been one of the best at creating some awe-inspiring settings. This one blew me away though as he brings us a world where a veil separates the "real world" from a hidden realm that is populated by foul demons and mysterious evil beings called The Faded. The Faded really captured my imagination and made me fly through each chapter wanting to know more about them and their history. As this world is laid out there are hints that at certain intervals in the history of the realm this veil has been tested and possibly breached by the vile occupants on the other side. Could this be happening again, and if so, will it finally prove successful?

I'd also like to touch on the main character Raine. Following her journey was truly a rollercoaster ride. To say that she has had her tests throughout her young life would be an understatement. And the fact that she is so young makes it all the more intense as we get to experience her making both good and also very questionable decisions. She possesses a power to see and speak with the dead that she still doesn't full understand and is coming to grips with. Can it be an asset in the potential troubles to come? Can she master it fully or will it remain a wild magical gift that she can't ever completely get under control? And it is obvious that there are others who would like to use (or possibly abuse) the fact that she can do this. So there's also the uncertainty of not knowing who exactly is on her side or who wants to manipulate her for their own purposes.

In the end I was left breathless with where this story ended up and pretty upset that I didn't immediately have the next book in my hands to continue. McDonald has outdone himself with this suspenseful and captivating new book. This bodes extremely well for this series and if future entries are even half as good as this one, I'll be adding The Redwinter Chronicles to my reading ring of honor. 

If you like fantasy stories that take you to wondrous places that are also brimming with ghostly beings, this is your book. If you like fantasy stories with characters who are immensely compelling and not perfect, this is your book. If you like fantasy stories that ooze with danger and peril around every corner, this is your book. And finally, if you like fantasy stories that are so expertly written that you can see and feel the action playing out in your head so vividly that you believe it's all totally real, then THIS IS YOUR BOOK! Another smash hit of a fantasy adventure from Ed McDonald.

DAUGHTER OF REDWINTER is due to be released on June 28th, but you can preorder it right now on Amazon. I highly suggest that you do so because you are not going to want this amazing book to slip by you.


Overall Rating:


Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *