My Top 10 Reads of 2021!

 
Many bloggers like to do end of year lists, but for whatever reason I just haven't done that many in my blogging life. This year is a little different however, and I've been motivated to compile a list of my top 10 reads of 2021. Part of this motivation stems from the fact that I'm a huge proponent of self-published/Indie SFF and as it turns out, seven out of my top ten reads this year were self-published books. That deserves mentioning and further recognition in my eyes. Another motivating factor is this year more than any in recent memory has been such a fantastic string of 5 star review after 5 star review for me. I can't recall reading so many books that just absolutely blew me away in such a relatively short space of time. It's really a tribute to the high quality of SFF releases that have been hitting the shelves recently.

So it is with a great deal of excitement that I get to share with you my ten favorite reads from 2021. I'll say a little bit about why I loved each and then include a link to my full review in case anyone would like a more in-depth analysis. With that, let's get the show on the road shall we? And in truly dramatic fashion, I'll be counting them down from 10 to 1. 

The following SFF books made MY TOP 10 READS OF 2021!!!


#10 - ARTIFACT SPACE by Miles Cameron (Gollancz)

Miles/Christian Cameron is primarily known for his wonderful epic fantasy and historical fiction books. Here though, he gives us one of the best space opera tales I have read in quite some time. I had such a blast reading this book and recommend it to anyone who enjoys SF of the Adrian Tchaikovsky and Alastair Reynolds variety. And who doesn't love the idea of spaceships shaped like swords? Seriously, pick this one up and enjoy some awesome space adventure from one of the great writing minds in any genre. Read my full review.


#9 - SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE by Rob J. Hayes (Self-Published)

If I made one of these lists every single year, it would be a safe bet to assume that a Rob J. Hayes book would make the cut. Hayes is consistently brilliant and this book just continued that trend for me. This third standalone in his Mortal Techniques "series" was my favorite of the bunch and really upped the stakes and delivered some of Rob's best action sequences to date. There's also that trademark world-building that always makes me gasp in awe. Just a really fun romp of a fantasy book, but make sure you read every book in the series because they all bring something unique and special to the table! Read my full review.


#8 - IDOLS FALL by Mike Shel (Self-Published)

Some call it dark fantasy...some call it grimdark...I call it spectacular! Happy to say that I was definitely in on the ground floor with Mike Shel's Iconoclast series. This could very well be one of the most satisfying conclusions to a series that I have ever read, and I don't say that lightly. I feel like the foot was never taken off the pedal the entire time and it was just a breathless experience to say the least. By the end I was completely shocked, magnificently rocked, and came away thinking how it couldn't have been a better finale. Check this one out for sentient weapons, insane dark magic, and complex world-building. I loved every minute of this series and in particular, this final book. Read my full review.


#7 - RINGLANDER: THE PATH AND THE WAY by Michael S. Jackson (Self-Published)

If there was one book that I read this year that completely threw me for a loop and surprised me, it's this fantastic tome. I don't know if I had any expectations at all going into it, but wow did it utterly dazzle me once I really got into the plot. The story just seemed to get better with each chapter and the alternate worlds and realities aspect of the world-building completely captivated me. The enemies are merciless, the heroes are larger than life, and the writing kept me glued to every word. I can't say enough about how this book impressed me and I can't believe that this is Michael S. Jackson's first full-length novel. If this is any indication, his talent knows no bounds and we should expect amazing things from him for many years to come! Read my 
full review


#6 - A FOOL'S HOPE by Mike Shackle (Gollancz)

One of my favorite current fantasy series, The Last War is ramping up for one heck of a conclusion following this incredible second book! This story is just so damn good and it is also dark AF. Dark fantasy is by and large my favorite subgenre of fantasy and there's no better example of how great it can be than when in the hands of a master like Mike Shackle. Battles galore, powerful magic that is totally original, and characters who don't fit into neat little boxes. This truly is a moving and suspenseful fantasy book that elevated the series tenfold for me. Oh and I haven't even mentioned the wondrous world-building. If you crave a fantasy series that puts you on edge and teems with tension throughout, then pick up both We Are The Dead and A Fool's Hope. Oh and cancel all of your recent plans because you won't want to be doing anything but reading this series once you start it. Read my full review.


#5 - BLINDSPACE by Jeremy Szal (Gollancz)

Part space opera, part military sf, part hard sf, all phenomenal. The follow-up to the highly-acclaimed Stormblood was my most-anticipated read of 2021, and it did not disappoint in the slightest. Jeremy Szal has a way with torturing his readers in the very best of ways as we live and die with each terrible thing that happens to them. But it's not all gut-punches and grimaces, as there is an outstanding storyline about the relationship between two estranged brothers that delivers an emotional and uplifting dichotomy to the breakneck (literally) action. If you love Peter F. Hamilton and Neal Asher, you've found a new author to read. Simply unputdownable in my opinion. Read my full review.


#4 - DRAGON MAGE by ML Spencer (Self-Published)

Just a gorgeously crafted book that in any other year may very well have been my top read. Another very long book at 900 pages that reads like it's less than half that size. I just never wanted it to end, and that's one of the highest compliments that a reader can give. It felt like so many of the comfort fantasy reads that I grew up reading, and yet it also felt very modern and edgy at the same time. Two worlds very different from each other separated by a plane of existence called The Void that is inhabited by vile creatures. The characters are also the strength of this terrific book, as Spencer takes the whole coming of age trope and deftly turns it on its head with a brilliant new twist. This is just one of those fantasy books that you savor and devour in large chunks while sitting on your cozy couch or favorite reading spot. Read my full review.


#3 - THE SHADOW OF THE GODS by John Gwynne (Orbit)

John Gwynne has long been a favorite author of mine. In fact, he holds the distinction of being the only author whose books I have never given anything less than five stars. If you're counting, that's eight books worth of perfection. The Shadow of the Gods is a stunning blend of Norse mythology and fantasy that only furthered my belief that Gwynne is one of the very best writers in the genre period. I was a little wary of this one as it was a departure from Gwynne's usual epic fare, but if anything it affected me even more profoundly than both his previous series. There are so many things to love about this book, but mostly I really enjoyed the kickass female MC Orka and her unwavering protection of her family which knows no bounds. Singly focused, her mission is what carries this book and it is what made this such a winner for me that I recommend everyone check out. Read my full review


#2 - NORYLSKA GROANS by Michael R. Fletcher & Clayton W. Snyder (Self-Published)

This one....oh this one left a mark. Norylska Groans is one of those books that as soon as you are finished reading it, you want to climb the tallest building or mountain and just yell, "this book effing rules!!!" I've been trying to shove this book in people's hands for the better part of seven months since its release because it's JUST THAT AWESOME. Set in an industrial Russia where criminal mobs are dirty and the police force is even dirtier, the alternating viewpoint characters of Gen and Kat bring us this richly detailed story in the most vivid of ways. A low fantasy grimdark tale that should be at the top of everyone's TBR. My jaw dropped more times than I can count and it really was an elite read for me. Fletcher and Snyder have forged a true masterpiece here and if you haven't read it yet, you need to rectify that immediately! Read my full review.


#1 - LEGACY OF THE BRIGHTWASH by Krystle Matar (Self-Published)

There are some books that are so extraordinary, words fail to sufficiently articulate their greatness. Legacy of the Brightwash is just such a book and it mesmerized me from the mystery at the very opening of the story until the brilliant final chapter. Gaslamp Victorian fantasy goodness with a touch of grimdark that has every single thing I want in an engaging and engrossing read. I read this very early in the year but I had a feeling that when all was said and done, it would end up at the top of my list of favorite reads this year. There's that common saying that I dislike "you just have to read it!" but in this case you totally do. Because I can tell you how gorgeous the writing is, and how absorbing the central mystery is, and how beautifully blemished the main characters are, and how fascinating the overall story is, but none of that will ever come close to what you experience when you actually pick this book up and read it. Perfect. In. Every. Way.
Read my full review.


And those are the ten books that really rocked my world this year! That being said, I am so appreciative of all of the authors whose books I had the opportunity to read. Just because those books weren't included on this list, doesn't mean that they didn't impact me in a very meaningful way. As always, thank you to every author out there who is writing magnificent stories for us to enjoy. It's what makes what I do so immensely fun and rewarding. Hope you enjoyed the list, hope you maybe discovered some new reads for your TBR, and thanks so much for visiting and supporting Out of This World SFF!

Happy Reading,
-Nick

Comments

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *