Book Review - HEAVY LIES THE CROWN by Ben Galley

 
(Title: Heavy Lies the Crown / Author: Ben Galley / Pubisher: Self-Published / Publication Date: August 3rd, 2021 / Pages: 550)

Book Blurb
The battle for freedom has left Emaneska reeling and desolated. Both Scalussen and Arka are scattered to the winds. With the Blazing Throne now empty and the Arka Empire for the taking, the race to claim Emaneska has begun.

Farden and Mithrid have been stranded alone in strange eastern lands by errant magick. They battle not to return home, but to uncover an ancient weapon capable of defeating a god. A god who desires nothing but chaos.

In Emaneska, Elessi leads the survivors of the Rogue's Armada to safer havens, something rare and lacking in the uncharted waters of the south. 

Treachery and pain await them both, but the price of failure is steeper. New enemies lie in wait on those foreign paths. Dark creatures born of nightmares and forgotten powers. Warlords set on mastering magick. And an old threat reborn, doggedly pursuing one fate:

The death of Farden.


Review
Ben Galley is one of those authors who I am increasingly impressed by. His Chasing Graves trilogy was among my very favorite fantasy series and I thought one of the most original that I have read in some time. It made me want to check out more of his books and I'm so glad that I did because his latest, The Scalussen Chronicles, is just as brilliant but in an entirely different way. Book one, The Forever King, knocked my socks off. So when I was fortunate enough to get an advance copy of book two, I really couldn't wait to jump back into this incredible story.

HEAVY LIES THE CROWN picks up pretty much immediately following the events that culminated the first book. I won't get into too much detail about what took place, but for various reasons the main cast finds itself separated and scattered in different areas across the map. So right away this creates a pretty cool setup for this next installment as the main characters attempt to regroup and follow their own specific path with the hopes of possibly reuniting at some point. And it turns out the journey is just what you'd expect from Galley, as monsters and magic loom around every corner.

Speaking of magic, if you like that sort of thing then this series is right up your alley. In fact, it's the heart of the story as those who would like to eradicate magic forever continue to hunt those who practice it. Likewise, those with the gift continue to try to preserve their history by way of floating libraries housed in ships that continually move so as not to leave themselves open to attack. It really is a brilliantly constructed story that makes you want to keep reading no matter what distractions come your way.

This book advanced the story immensely and I found myself mesmerized by the way that Galley puts his characters in continuous peril, whether it be by way of angry leviathans stalking the high seas, evil mages conjuring devastating spells, or belligerent gods bent on absolute destruction at all costs. One god in particular becomes so enamored with power that his meddling draws the attention and attracts the scorn of the other gods. It's this added dimension that really made this book unputdownable for me as there are so many subplots that added to the high quality of this intriguing follow-up. 

This book had me on edge so many times (in a good way), and the pace picked up so much at about the halfway point that I didn't even realize I had read the final 200 pages in one sitting. That's how firmly the story had me in its grips. Suffice to say I was again dazzled by Ben Galley's writing chops. Here is an author who is at the top of his game right now and if you are not reading his books, you are missing one of the great writers of fantasy period. 

If you are looking for a fantasy book and series that will capture your imagination and also entertain the heck out of you, then HEAVY LIES THE CROWN and The Scalussen Chronicles are just what the doctor ordered. Emotional characterization, jaw-dropping magic, world-building so vivid that it makes you feel as if this place tangibly exists. I can't say enough about how much I am enjoying this ride so far. My only regret is that I know that it will have to come to an end eventually. Fear not though because Ben Galley has proven time and time again that he knows how to top himself, and I have no doubt that he will continue that trend. I really can't wait to see how this series concludes, so write faster Ben!

HEAVY LIES THE CROWN is officially due out on August 3rd, but you can preorder it right now on Amazon.


Overall Rating:

Comments

  1. Man, I am guilty of having a few of his books and not yet dicing in. This book sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend his books Ollie. They are really interesting and have super cool magic.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *