Book Review - HOLLOW EMPIRE by Sam Hawke

 

(Title: Hollow Empire / Author: Sam Hawke / Publisher: Tor / Publication Date: December 1, 2020 / Pages: 560)

Sam Hawke's debut novel City of Lies was a revelation and absolutely one of my favorite reads of 2018.  It was a perfect blend of suspense, treachery, and court politics that I found a breath of fresh air from the usual battle-frenzied epic fantasy.  After I was finished reading it I couldn't wait for more Poison War books because the story was just so good and infectious.  So when I received an advance copy of HOLLOW EMPIRE a few weeks ago, I was more excited than I can tell you.  I'm happy to say that after reading this one, Sam Hawke has taken what she built with the first book and catapulted this series to a level that makes it a flat-out must read for anyone who claims to enjoy tremendous character-driven stories, regardless of genre.

HOLLOW EMPIRE begins almost immediately with an exciting and mysterious pursuit through the back alleys and deserted buildings of Salista.  Jovan and Kalina are still entrusted with protecting the nobles and leaders of the city but the stakes have been elevated even more than previously as there seem to be assassins around every corner these days.  As proofers, they must detect the intricate poisons of those who would do harm in an effort to overthrow the kingdom once and for all.  This comes with its own particular set of risks and dangers to their own lives as well, for they are now well known among the lechers and murderers who are prowling in the dark and deserted areas of town, plotting the death of their enemies.

As we get deeper into this story, Jovan has been teaching his young niece Dija the complex skills of proofing.  With enough training, he believes she may also be able to lend her skill to the defense of the realm.  But their training is cut short as an unexpected event thrusts Jovan and Kalina into a political crisis between neighboring countries that could put a price on both of their heads and turn them from protectors to prey.  No longer can the brother and sister team operate in anonymity, they have fallen on the radar of some very dangerous people who have serious motivations to eliminate them as obstacles.  To what end?  You'll have to check out this amazing series to find out.

There are books that are just a joy to read every minute, and HOLLOW EMPIRE was definitely that for me.  Truth be told this is a really dark book filled with nasty nobles and even nastier assassins.  Death occurs with impunity and frequency, so this is not a feel-good jaunt through a fantasy land of unicorns and fairies.  But it is a story that takes turns in directions that I never saw coming.   I can't count the number of times I was floored by a plot twist or a scene that had me so tense that I almost didn't want to continue.  HOLLOW EMPIRE is a sequel that builds upon its predecessor and introduces the reader to even more of its incredible world and characters.  I now know why this book took over two years to create, because it is a feast for the imagination that reminds me of Robin Hobb at her wondrous best with a dash of Paul Kearney's brutal realism.

Another of the many strengths of this book is the evolution of the main characters of Jovan and Kalina.  I love that we get to experience their intersecting story line through alternating viewpoint chapters.  It was interesting to see the plot progress while seeing it through each of their eyes as it was happening.   I found it to be a very effective way to convey the story that kept the telling of it fresh since you are reading it from the viewpoint of two very distinct personalities every 30 pages or so.  Just when you get settled in to Jovan's account of things, boom, you get Kalina's side of the story.  Really great in my opinion.

In closing, I was so blown away by HOLLOW EMPIRE and Sam Hawke has totally captivated me once again with her beautiful storytelling.  I highly recommend starting with the first book in The Poison War series, City of Lies, and then continuing right along with this brilliant follow up.  If you are looking for a fantasy series that has strong characterization and skullduggery galore, you can't do much better than this series.  Do yourself a favor and read Sam Hawke's books!  They will astound and entertain like very few books can.  I'm really amped up to see where Sam takes this series now.  I know one thing for sure, it will be an epic finish when all is said and done and one that will not soon be forgotten.  Heartbreaking and powerful, The Poison War series is easily among the best that fantasy has to offer.

Rating: 9.5/10

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *