Book Review - THE SHADOW SAINT by Gareth Hanrahan

(Title: The Shadow Saint, Author: Gareth Hanrahan, Publisher: Orbit, Publication Date: January 7, 2020)

I would first like to say that The Black Iron Legacy series by Gareth Hanrahan has officially become one of my favorite current dark fantasy series going, to the extent that I anticipate each new release now with bated breath.  The world that Hanrahan has created in these books is so incredibly cool and unique that it almost defies explanation.  I had an inkling that I would enjoy THE SHADOW SAINT, but I wasn't prepared to love it so much that I would alienate myself from my family for nights on end as I flew through its 560 pages.  I just had to find out how it ended as quickly as possible.  I will try my best to put this experience into words although I am sure that I will fail in that endeavor.

The events that culminated book one of this series, The Gutter Prayer, left much of Guerdon and its surrounding territories in a state of flux.  A once important land has now become a stomping ground for all types of miscreants, as well as various poor and downtrodden refugees.  Lawlessness reigns supreme and the only rule that governs at the moment is one where there are no rules.  What was unleashed in the previous book has literally decimated Guerdon and created a destitute New City in its wake.  Yet inexplicably that may not be the worst thing to have happened to the beleaguered city of spires, labyrinths, and shadows.

For word has slowly leaked out that there may be a secret weapon buried inside this New City that may turn the tide for anyone who can claim it and harness its power.  And as the struggle for power between the two most prominent factions in the godswar grows and intensifies, it is incumbent upon each to send agents into a city of abominations and creatures beyond imagining to recover it for their own deadly ambitions.  The problem may not be so much in finding this doomsday weapon, but rather in making it back out alive past the ghouls that lurk among Guerdon's ghostly catacombs and gloomy crevices.

What is becoming even more clear with each passing moment is that the godswar is indeed coming to a head, and whoever is able to possess this most vaunted weapon capable of obliterating a god will most-likely declare victory.  In its attempt to remain neutral, Guerdon has also left itself exposed to attacks that could change the face of its history for ages to come.  Yet there continue to be those sandwiched between the closing vice of these invading armies who hold out hope that they may fend off the oncoming war. But how can mere mortals compete in a scenario where ruthless gods are the main combatants and horrific magic is wielded without mercy.

Wow, was this just an unbelievable read.  I thought that The Gutter Prayer was very good, but this book takes the story to an entirely new level and alludes to a potentially phenomenal final installment.  Middle books are usually known for being a bit slower as the plot normally shifts in some way and sometimes even crawls as things are set up for the climactic third book, but that is nowhere near the case with THE SHADOW SAINT.  I actually thought the action was even more intense in this book and the pace was a good deal faster.

I applaud Gareth Hanrahan for once again formulating some of the most spectacular world-building that I've read in a really long time.  As someone who appreciates exceptional world-building and a deeply textured history in my fantasy reads (almost to the exclusion of everything else), you can't get much better than this series.  Usually the characters are what drive the story, and I'm not saying that Hanrahan doesn't write great characters, but Guerdon itself is such an intricate and amazing construct that it evolves into a main character unto itself.   As such it is really interesting to explore this world through the eyes of the narrator and each individual character.

And speaking of characters, things are slightly different in THE SHADOW SAINT in that the viewpoint characters are entirely different from The Gutter Prayer.  We do get to revisit our familiar favorites and they do impact this particular story significantly, but they are not the main characters here.  I thought it was a refreshing change and it made this book feel somewhat separate from book one, while still advancing the story in an effective and fascinating way.  I truly can't say enough about this book and series as Hanrahan has taken what he established in the first book and given us another absolute winner of a book to savor.  

If you are looking for one of the best dark fantasy series being published today, look no further than The Black Iron Legacy.  It's so difficult to find a story with such a stark and ominous subject matter, yet makes you feel utterly delighted and entertained while you're reading it.  I'd say that is a talent that few writers have the ability to master, but Hanrahan has done so in spades in my opinion.  You can preorder THE SHADOW SAINT right now on Amazon, as the official release date isn't until January 7th (just a few days away!).  While you are waiting I recommend that you grab book one, The Gutter Prayer and dive into this brilliantly inventive series as soon as possible.  I'm not sure how Gareth Hnrahan is going to top THE SHADOW SAINT, but I'm eager to find out!

(My Rating: 9.3/10)

Comments

  1. I am hearing a lot of good things about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful. Definitely one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be reading this as soon as my copy arrives. So glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Tammy. I hope you enjoy it às well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *